My Shopping List
Marinated and Grilled Apple and Red Onion Salad
Courtesy of U.S. Apple Association
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min.
Marinate: 30 Min
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 small red onion, peeled
+ 2 eating apples + 1 apple, thinly sliced, for garnish
+ 1 Tbsp. light cooking oil
+ 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into 1/4-wide ribbon
+ 1/4 c. walnut oil
+ 1/4 c. light salad oil
+ 1/4 c. cider vinegar
+ 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ 1/4 tsp. black pepper
What to do:
1. Dressing: Whisk the two oils together in a mixing bowl; add the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk lightly, just enough to blend the ingredients. Set aside.
2. Salad: Slice the onions into thin circles and the apples into 1/4" thick rings. Place in mixing bowl, toss with 4 Tbsp. of the dressing, and marinate for 30 min. before grilling.
3. Place romaine lettuce ribbons in a large mixing bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Lightly oil grill.
4. Drain onions and apples, then grill over low to medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Place grilled onions and apples in a mixing bowl, toss with 6 Tbsp. of dressing, and refrigerate until cool.
5. Toss lettuce and dressing and arrange on plates; drain the onions and apples and arrange on top of lettuce. Garnish with thin slices of fresh apple.
TIP: To lower the fat content, reduce the amount of oil in the dressing during preparation.
Calories: 315; Calories From Fat: 60; Total Fat: 21g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Fiber: 5g; Sodium: 320mg;